Sunday 21 February 2010

ERROR IDENTIFICATION #1


x

What's the wrong with each of the sentences below?

The answers are in the COMMENTS below. Be sure to try to find your own answers before looking at mine!

  1. This large goat is only living in the mountains of Switzerland.
  2. I call to thank you for the present you sent.
  3. John is resembling his older sister.
  4. The rise in demand for timber destroys large areas of rainforest.
  5. I work at the University for over ten years now.
  6. When have you got here?
  7. Have you read a book called Accountancy Is Fun? 'Who has written it?'
  8. Charles is a gifted footballer, but up to now he didn't play well in international matches.
  9. We've seen Jean in town the other day.
  10. Have you ever been to the opera when you lived in Milan?
  11. I was meeting a lot of interesting people while I was working in Norway.
  12. Being in large crowds was always making her feel nervous.
  13. How long are you wearing glasses?
  14. We've been staying with Paul and Jenny until last weekend.
  15. That's twice I've been forgetting to bring my diary to work this week.
  16. I've never been listening to any of Plop's music before.
  17. The new bridge had been opened six months ago.
  18. He just heard the news and was rushing home to tell his family.
  19. When I saw the vase, I knew it was exactly what I had looked for.
  20. I had been knowing Helen for a number of years.

No cheating. Agonize a while before checking the answers!

x

1 comment:

  1. I have jumbled up these answers so that you don't inadvertently see the answer to those you haven't answered yet.

    2. I'm calling to thank you for the present you sent.

    19. When I saw the vase, I knew it was exactly what I had been looking for.

    4. The rise in demand for timber is destroying large areas of rainforest.

    18. He had just heard the news and was rushing home to tell his family.

    5. I have worked at the University for over ten years now.

    20. I had known Helen for a number of years.

    6. When did you get here?

    17. The new bridge was opened six months ago.

    7. Have you read a book called Accountancy Is Fun? 'Who wrote it?'

    10. Did you ever go to the opera when you lived in Milan?

    16. I've never listened to any of Plop's music before.

    9. We saw Jean in town the other day.

    1. This large goat only lives in the mountains of Switzerland.

    15. That's twice I've forgotten to bring my diary to work this week.

    11. I met a lot of interesting people while I was working in Norway.

    3. John resembles his older sister.

    12. Being in large crowds always made her feel nervous.

    14. We were staying with Paul and Jenny until last weekend. [We don't use the present perfect continuous with an expression (e.g. 'until') that refers to a finished period of time.]

    8. Charles is a gifted footballer, but up to now he hasn't played well in international matches

    13. How long have you been wearing (or ...have you worn) glasses?

    ReplyDelete